What is Justice40?
Ensuring the dollars are spent equitably is a goal of the initiative. Justice40 is the Biden administration’s guidance for incorporating environmental justice into federal spending.
Justice40 aims to right some of the wrongs caused by discriminatory policies like redlining and highway construction that destroyed Black neighborhoods. The initiative aims to address historic underinvestment in housing, transportation, drinking water access and safety, and public health for marginalized people. Targeting new investments in communities we have damaged and otherwise failed to invest in will make all of Iowa stronger and better.
- The Justice40 Initiative | The White House
- The Path to Achieving Justice40 | The White House
- Webinar Slides for Justice40 Initiative – A Whole-of-Government Approach to Advance Environmental Justice | U.S. EPA
- How Prepared Are US Cities to Implement the Justice40 Initiative? | World Resources Institute
- Justice40 Funding Finder | Equitable and Just National Climate Platform
- Climate and Economic Justice Screening Tool | The Council on Environmental Quality (CEQ)
Justice40 in Iowa
Iowa agencies are making plans for how they will spend the federal dollars flowing into the state from the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) and the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (IIJA). For Iowans, these opportunities to give public input are crucial for providing oversight on how and whether Iowa is making wise investments that benefit all Iowans and lead to a more equitable state as part of the Justice40 initiative. Watch presentation from IEC staff below to learn more.
IEC's Role in Justice40
IEC is committed to helping state and local entities to take advantage of key federal funding opportunities with an emphasis on the Justice40 Initiative. IEC will assist in determining which IRA and IIJA programs have the most potential to make an impact in Iowa, using both data-driven and political analyses as well as knowledge of key stakeholders and partnerships. Our staff will track key rulemakings tied to implementation of the renewable energy and energy efficiency programs, along with specific applications of the Justice40 Initiative.